Reducing the Risk of Falling with a Balance Board
One of the greatest fears all seniors have is being injured in a fall. Experiencing a fall is currently the leading cause of injury for senior citizens in America (Hegg, 2018). Over a third of senior citizens suffer a fall and experience a fall related injury that limits their movement as well as their ability to live independently according to National Institute of Health (NIH). This is partly because the ability to balance and stabilize oneself decreases with age. It is for this very reason that balance exercises are highly recommended by the NIH to maintain and increase balance (Strongboard Balance, N.A.). One of the best options for seniors to improve their balance is to use a balance board. Using a balance board is a great exercise equipment for those just starting out with exercise to those interested in pushing themselves with advanced exercise techniques (Hegg, 2018). What makes a balance board good for seniors to use is that not only does the balance board increase balance, it strengthens the core, and improves postural control. All of which are important in reducing the risk of falls (Strongboard Balance, N.A.).
Top Rated Balance Board Trainers in 2023
Rating is 5 out of 5
Yes4All Bongo Balance Board/Balance Board Trainer – 29” Long Wooden Bongo Board and 4” Diameter Roller, Yellow/Black
- GREAT FOR BALANCE TRAINING: improve core strength, posture, enhance coordination & visual sense. Great to build better balance for board sports like surfing, snowboarding, skateboarding, ollies, kick flip, shun-its, rail slides & more
- HARDWOOD CONSTRUCTION WITH ANTI-SLIP PEEVE SURFACE: premium wooden balance board Trainer with an anti-skid pad on the surface provides a secure grip for Absolute safety, max support up to 300lbs. Great for Use with, or without shoes
- WOODEN ROLLER WITH TPE COVER: constructed of solid wood with thick TPE layer, the roller contains nontoxic chemicals for health safety. The non-slip roller works great on different types of flooring, including wood, carpet, cork, concrete and more
- TWO REMOVABLE STOPPERS INCLUDED: The package is fully equipped with two removable stoppers and four screws to help you adjust the distance for your preferred level. There are 3 basic distances for you to choose, including 11, 16, and 22 inches
- ENHANCE THE COORDINATION AND BALANCE: Practicing with Yes4All Balance Trainers can seriously improve stability, enhance core strength of the legs and abdomen, plus increase mobility and prevent falls and injury in the long term
Rating is 4.9 out of 5
Fitlaya Fitness Balance Board Trainer Wooden Training Equipment for Fitness Workout, Hockey, Skateboarding, Surfing and Snowboarding (Ying YANG)
- 【Balance & Core Strength Training】our balance board was designed to improve core strength, balance control, flexibility, Neuromuscular Response, Agility and Coordination. Strengthen the legs, abdominals and core muscles.
- 【High-Quality Material Made】Our balance boards are made of Canadian Maple wood and handcrafted by experienced craftsman which can support up to 350lbs weight, also covered with an anti-slip surface ensures the safety of the training.
- 【Professional Training aid】It’s a great sports gear for improving skills in surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding, skiing and training for fitness, hockey, basketball, golf, yoga and Martial art etc..
Rating is 4.8 out of 5
StrongTek Professional Wooden Balance Board, Rocker Board, 17.5 Inch Wood Standing Desk Accessory, Balancing Board for Under Desk, Anti Slip Roller, Core Strength, Stability, Office Wobble Boards …
- ✓ Improve strength & conditioning – This wooden rocker board physical therapy is designed to stimulate your core and improve your agility, reaction time, and stamina, this low-impact exercise board is great for all.
- ✓ Compact, portable trainer – At 17.5” x 13.5” x 3” in size, our lightweight balance exerciser / fit tilt board can be used at therapy or training at home, the gym, or while traveling. A perfect standing desk accessory
- ✓ Slip-resistant surface – The top of each rocker balance board features an easy-grip surface that’s gentle on bare feet but helps keep you in place safely and securely.
- ✓ Strong, stable base – Made of high-quality Lauan hardwood plywood from sustainable, plantation-grown timbers , stronger and last longer than others made of birch and pine plywood. This heavy-duty balancing board can hold kids and adults up to 350 lbs.
Rating is 4.7 out of 5
4TH Core Balance Board for Exercise Training-Board Exercise for Fitness with Roller- Board Balancing for Surf,Ski, Snowboard and Skateboarding.
- Ecology + High Quality: Are you still using ordinary PVC rollers and ordinary composite wood boards for balance training? At the same time endure the peeling and unevenness of the rubber outer layer of these rollers? 100% solid and natural cork roller,not contain any harmful chemical substances. Under the premise of being fast and durable, it ensures the isolation of the roller from dust, hair and sweat, so that the roller is kept clean, safe and convenient for you to use at any time.
- There are some differences: 10 layers of maple are cold pressed, and the surface is not deformed or cracked. The balance board training table is 29 "diameter * 10" width, can withstand 500lbs.Rubber rubber plastic surface anti-skid and high friction. No scratches, rest assured to touch the skin, support barefoot use!
- Train Like an Athlete: Did you know that training with a balance board (also called neuromuscular response training) is beneficial to all athletes and fitness enthusiasts? It is very useful for skateboarding, surfing, wake-up surfing, snowboarding, skiing and other sports, but also useful for team sports such as football, basketball, MMA and all sports that require physical exercise.
- OPEN BALANCE TALENT: No One Can not be Curious about A Balance Board Trainer .You Children, Family, Colleagues, Friends will Find this Who Loves Get Simple Competition about Keep of Board for Longer Time .Put this Board Anywhere ,The Fun of Balance Board Roller Give You Pleasure and Open A New World of Balance for You !
Rating is 4.6 out of 5
Revolution Swell 2.0 | Surf & Paddle Balance Board Trainer (Midnight - Black)
- STAY READY FOR ANYTHING THE WATER THROWS AT YOU: The all new Revolution Swell 2.0 Balance Board is designed to prepare you for moments out on the water that require your entire body to be working in unison. Surfers, Paddle Boarders (SUP), Wakesurfers, Kiteboarders, Longboarders - The Swell 2.0 is for you.
- DURASOFT TRACTION: Our exclusive traction surface is extremely comfortable to use with bare feet, or with shoes, and super durable at the same time. Won’t scratch you or your floors like other rough griptape top boards.
- EXTENDED ROLLER, MORE CHALLENGE: The long roller and expanded size of the Swell board allows for a variety of both heel-to-toe and side-to-side balance training, perfect for maximizing your skills on the water. Use the roller in either direction.
- MAGSWITCH ADJUSTABLE STOPS: The Swell 2.0 features a strong magnetic stop system, which is adjustable in seconds without any tools. Beginners can start slow by setting a shorter rolling distance, and work their way up to more difficulty. Seasoned riders can step up the challenge even more by easily removing the stops.
Rating is 4.5 out of 5
Raise Your Game Balance Board Trainer Agility Set, Wooden Wobble Roller for Exercise Sports, Training Equipment for Balance Stability and Fitness, with Free Workout Guide
- FUN WORKOUT SET: This balance training pad provides an exciting way to improve your balance, core strength, body control, and agility. It comes with three latex loops, a pair of slide discs, a jump rope, and a carry bag – everything you need to exercise anytime, anywhere.
- ATHLETIC TRAINING TOOL: Balance boards are also an effective training tool for athletes from various sports requiring a great sense of balance such as skateboarding, snowboarding, surfing, skiing, paddle boarding, wake surfing, etc.
- PREMIUM HARDWOOD CONSTRUCTION: The deck of this balance board trainer is made from premium hardwood construction of pine and poplar wood with non-slip emery grip tape on top. The roller is made from PVC with a soft fabric on the outside. Can accommodate all body types.
- FREE WORKOUT GUIDE: Get started the right way and learn different interactive exercises that will help improve your balance, as well as cognitive and physical functionality. Works well indoor and on concrete floors as well.
Rating is 4.4 out of 5
BONA Balance Board Trainer for Fun, Challenging Fitness and Sports Training, Comes with 29.1" X 10.8" Non-Slip Deck, 3.9" Roller
- 【2020 UPGRADED STROPPERS】 Rocker-roller boards add a degree of instability to the rocker board that makes them much more challenging for the rider than a rocker board is. BONA balance board trainer 2.0 the biggest difference that it has 4 removable independent stoppers. You can easily attach the stoppers OR remove its so that made more effectively to meet your exercise needs at different stages.（There are 3 basic distances for you to choose, including 4'', 12'', and 21''） "
- 【STRONG & ANTI-SLIP】 The fitness deck is made of Simple, Clean, Natural Wooden material, and designed with special Anti-Slip Surface, that makes training safer and more comfortable(Great for Use with or without shoes). The roller is made from PVC with a soft fabric on the outside that adheres naturally to the bottom of the board. 👍Highlighted Design - 4 stoppers of independent design made of special TPR material, the touch soft and sturdy, easy to adjust.
- 【YOUR HOME GYM EQUIPMENT】 The biggest draw to the balance board is that it is a lot of fun. Portable and Functional Design Improve energy levels for Active Lifestyle, Strengthen the Core Stability, Neuromuscular Response, Agility and Coordination.( Originally Designed to Be Used For Indoor Training, Our Versatile Design Can Be Used Practically Anywhere Indoors Or Outdoor)
- 【GREAT FOR BALANCE TRAINING】 Long term use of BONA Balancing Board practicing can improve stability, enhance core strength of the legs and abdomen. Great to build better balance for board sports like surfing, snowboarding, skateboarding, ollies, kick flip, shun-its, rail slides & more. (Secure deck for Absolute safety, max. support up to 300lbs. Great for Use with, or without shoes)
Rating is 4.3 out of 5
TOYE HEALTH Core Balance Board Trainer Skateboard，Surf Balance Board Trainer
- EXCELLENT BALANCE TRAINING BOARD: improve core strength, posture, enhance coordination and sense of vision. It is very suitable for surfing, skiing, skateboarding, skating, skating, jumping, avoiding, sliding track and other board sports to achieve better balance.
- HARDWOOD CONSTRUCTION BALANCE BOARD: premium wooden balance board Trainer with an anti-skid pad on the surface provides a secure grip for Absolute safety, max support up to 300lbs, Matte design, support barefoot use.
- HIGH-QUALITY BALANCE BOARD: The balance board training table is made of 10 layers of maple by cold pressing, without deformation and high toughness. It is suitable for different types of floors, including wood, carpet, cork, concrete, etc., but it is necessary to ensure that the ground is flat and free of foreign objects.
- ENHANCE THE COORDINATION AND BALANCE: Practicing with a balance trainers can seriously improve stability and enhance the core strength of the legs and abdomen. It is suitable for surfing training, skiing training, gymnastics training, etc.
Rating is 4.2 out of 5
URBNFit Wooden Balance Board Trainer - Roller Board for Snowboard, Surf, Hockey Training & More -Balancing Exercise Fitness Equipment
- DYNAMIC WORKOUT: Balance training boards are a fun and exciting way to improve your balance, body control, agility & build strength while sculpting your legs, abs & core
- MULTISPORT TRAINING: Perfect for improving balance for skateboarding, snowboarding, surfing, skiing & wakesurfing or response training for basketball, football, MMA, lacrosse & soccer
- MADE FROM PINE & POPLAR WOOD: Built from PVC with a soft fabric on the outside that adheres naturally to the bottom of the board. Includes a layer of non-slip emery grip tape on top
- WORKOUT GUIDE & QUICKSTART GUIDE INCLUDED: Get started with your balance board right away and enjoy the fun and interactive exercises that enhance cognitive & physical functionality
What is The Balance Board Trainer?
A useful piece of exercise equipment, the balance board was made for maintaining and improving balance. The way it works is that the board itself is similar to that of a seesaw. The user must stand on the board balancing their body on the board while preventing the ends of the board from touching the floor (Fit & Me, 2021). Overall, there are five different types when it comes to balance boards, but there’s no way to say which one is the best for seniors. As all other exercise equipment, a balance board is only effective if the user is comfortable with it, and if it suits their individual needs (Fit & Me, 2021). No matter what kind of balance board is chosen, the only important thing for any senior to know is that using a balance board guarantees the strengthening of 29 muscles in the stomach, back, hips, and pelvis that are all critical for improved: balance, stability, postural control, and fall prevention. For seniors that have already suffered a fall the balance board is also great for recovering from a previous fall related injury (Strongboard Balance, N.A.). Lastly, one thing to keep in mind before using a balance board is that it is best to start by using this equipment from a seated position to get a feel of having the balance board beneath your feet. This can be the beginning step of improving balance for seniors carefully learning to balance on the board, and eventually graduating from sitting to standing (Hegg, 2018).
How do You Balance a Balance Board?
Proper posture is key to get the most out of using a balance board. As worrying as this sound it’s to be expected that posture improve the more the balance board is used. For seniors specifically, the more you use the balance board to improve your balance the better you will be able to maintain proper posture on the balance board. Those that are new to the balance board the steps for learning the best posture on the balance board is broken up between the upper and lower body.
Upper Body Positioning: Although difficult, anyone using the balance board must stay focused on looking forward instead of looking down. Looking forward is what will keep the head, shoulders, and back properly aligned as well as activate the core muscles. This is important to establish and maintain good balance and finding your center of balance (Revolution Balance Boards, 2014).
Lower Body Positioning: For the lower body, the main focus is on keeping the knees bent. The more balance improves the more you’ll be able to bend your knees increasing the intensity of the exercises that are safe for a senior to do. For example, a challenging exercise a senior can do are squats by slowly bending the knees and then lifting back up. Adding these extra steps to using the balance board will ensure smaller muscles in the legs and core are also activated and strengthen to further improve ones balance (Revolution Balance Boards, 2014).
How long should you stand on a balance board?
Unlike training individual muscles, there’s no way to over train by using a balance board. In all actuality, the more time for seniors to train on the balance board the better it is for them in improving balance and coordination. It is highly recommended for seniors to use their balance board daily whenever they find the opportunity while respecting their body’s limits. It is okay if only a few minutes on the balance board can be managed at a time. The ideal duration of using the balance board is between ten to fifteen minutes per use. It is not advised to use the balance board longer than fifteen minutes as it can be unsafe to do so (Fit & Me, 2021).